This week, the class looked at the structure of Chinese government, the impact of Communism in China, the influence of Deng Xiaoping and cycle of Fang-Shou.
PPTs from class:
Homework for the weekend is to read the series of articles attached here (China – Special Report) and annotate for the following ideas, and then answer the question below them:
- Relationship between the people and the government
- Repression and Dissent
- Effects of urbanization and migration
- Existing/developing cleavages
Write a two paragraph response to the following question:
- Is the “Chinese Dream” attainable under the existing system?
The “Chinese Dream” is in reference to the following:
- As of 2013, Xi Jinping’s slogan is “The Chinese Dream”
- Xi described the dream as “national rejuvenation, improvement of people’s livelihoods, prosperity, construction of a better society and military strengthening.” He has stated that young people should “dare to dream, work assiduously to fulfill the dreams and contribute to the revitalization of the nation.”
As a final thought, the following video is a clear explanation of the migration and urbanization that’s taken place in China in recent years: